But we know that eating that way on a consistent basis is not the foundation of a quality diet. Given that we eat Tex-Mex so much in Texas, it is worth finding qualities staples at our favorite restaurants that keep our diets on track and don't have us eating 1000-calorie meals.
|Image via FernandoMexicanCuisine.com|
Always consider splitting an entree. When you order a guacamole or other healthy appetizer, you have already enjoyed a fair amount of food. The Tex-Mex portions are typically huge and big enough to share.
Let's dive a bit further with specific menu items at area restaurants:
|Image via www.UncleJulios.com|
- Ensalada Grande - delicious with the grilled portobello mushroom and salsa for dressing.
- Soft Taco Plate - get black beans instead of refried.
- Vegetable Fajitas - ask for no butter.
- Mesquite Grilled Salmon
- Rico Salad - comes with fajita chicken or steak. Try the spicy blue cheese dressing on the side or just enjoy salsa with your salad.
- Tacos al Carbon - typically a good choice at any restaurant.
- Pauley's - sub the beef with chicken and borracho beans in place of refried beans.
- Tilapia Vera Cruz or Salmon a la Parilla - both quality seafood dishes.
- Quinceañera Salad
- Tacos de Pescado - nix the cheese.
- Pechugo de Pollo - again, nix the cheese, enjoy it with their delicious green salsa.
- Ensalada de Espinaca - enjoy with chicken or shrimp.
- Jorge - get it with chicken and corn tortillas.
- Carne Asada - nix the sour cream.
- Lite Fajitas - these are served with broccoli and cauliflower. Delicious!
- De Marisco Salad - shrimp, salmon or scallops over a bed of greens.
- Pollo con Salsa Maiz - chicken with a tasty black bean sauce and a healthy serving of veggies.
- Enchiladas de Hongos - sauteed mushroom enchiladas served with a spicy Cascabel sauce, black beans and corn pepper salad.
- Veggie Enchilada Plate - order it with black beans and veggies, top with green tomatillo sauce.
- Pechuga Parilla - nix the cheese and substitute the refried beans for black or whole beans.
- Veggie-Jitas - ask for black or whole beans instead of refried beans.
- Steve's Steak Tacos
- Snapper a la Feliz
- Chipotle Chicken - order with charra beans instead of refried.
- Chicken Toluca Salad - nix the jack cheese and bacon.
- Verde Enchiladas - this is big enough to split.
Again, go ahead and enjoy quesadillas and nachos, once in a while. If dining out in Tex-Mex restaurants is something you do a few times a week, make these healthier choices. Your waistline will thank you.