In the spirit of the season, here are a few things for which I am thankful. Not just today but every day.
|Thanksgiving morning in Punta Mita, Mexico|
- I thankful for every day I wake up and am excited about the opportunities it presents. Having made quite the career change over the last two months, I am challenged and energized by my new endeavor. I am also overwhelmed by the encouragement and support I receive from strangers, former viewers and friends every single day. It's humbling. Seriously, a FedEx driver brought me to tears on Tuesday with her kind words.
- I am thankful for my health. I truly believe if you don't have good health, you don't have anything. No amount of money or status can compensate for poor health. I appreciate the fact I take responsibility for it and don't blame anyone else for weight gain, back pain or the like. It's on me to improve it. Taking responsibility for your health is empowering.
- I am thankful for my daughter, her poopy diapers, her laugh, her snoring, her language development and curiosity. Having a daughter is more fun than I ever thought it would be. So many parents warned me about the work and drudgery that accompany having a child. No one told me it would be so much fun.
- I am thankful for my husband, his patience with me and the bizarre bodily noises that emanate from him at all hours of the night. They're not pretty but they're him. As much as we sometimes want to strangle our spouses, those of us who have the right one are lucky. He has every reason to strangle me but hasn't. Yet. God bless him.
- I am thankful for learning new technology. Learning is fun. Really.
|Hermes Les Amoureux de Paris|
- I am thankful for my obsession with Hermes scarves. Collecting them has developed into a passion that I didn't know would bring me such joy. Hunting for that vintage find is half the battle. I am crushing on French-inspired scarves right now.
- I am thankful that I am rarely happy with the status quo. I am someone who is always looking to do better, do more and get more out of life. Many times it bites me in the ass and I fear my ambition outweighs my talent but when that hard work pays off, it's magnificent.
- I am thankful for The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Genius TV that is still relevant today. That and Veep make me laugh.
- I am thankful for the failures in my life of which there have been many. They're the best learning experiences.
|Casa Batllo, Barcelona|
- I am thankful for my love of travel. The misery of waiting in long lines at an airport and dealing with a cramped middle seat is alleviated by the magic of discovering a new city or revisiting a favorite one. I'll never tire of Paris, Barcelona, New Orleans, Montecito or any of the wonderfully remote Mexican towns. Just thinking about them get that travel bug going.
|Arc de Triomphe circa 1940-something|
- I am thankful for the pictures my grandfather, George Mobley, took while he was stationed in Europe in the 1940's. The picture he took of the Arc de Triomphe is as timeless today as it was nearly a century ago. I love the feeling of being in the same spot, taking a picture where he did. He died in 1998. My grandmother in 2001. They had the travel bug, too.
- I am thankful for lifelong friends who are the same as they were in second grade and new friends who bring wonderfully fresh perspectives into my life.
- I am thankful for my wonderful, wacky diverse family.
- I am thankful for you: readers on this blog and my social media family.
Again, thank you. I hope that whatever your Thanksgiving Day holds it's full of good food, good football, parades, good friends, family and whatever makes you happy.
What are you thankful for in your lives right now?