It's easy to fall into the trap of a carbohydrate rich snack. Vending machines offer them and they're more convenient to grab and go. I love crackers as much as the next person but they're not a good diet staple.
We also know that our diets need to include more vegetables and fruits. Snacking is a perfect time to incorporate them into your diet. Vegetables might take a few more minutes to prepare but the payoff is worth it.
Here are some easy snack ideas to satisfy your appetite AND get more vegetables into your diet:
- Edamame - okay it's a soybean but it's green....and not crackers. It's actually what I had for a snack today at 10am.
- Baby carrots with hummus
- Red bell peppers and hummus - a perfect snack match
- Raw cucumber slices - don't knock these until you try them, they're delicious. You could eat the cucumber whole. Be prepared to be the butt of a few jokes, though.
- Celery with any type of dip or topping - salsa, greek yogurt with spices or topped with peanut butter and raisins (LOVE ants on a log)
- Raw or lightly steamed broccoli with salsa - another one of my favorite snacks